Friday, November 18, 2005

Pastry 101

The year before last, my new years resolution was to master pastry. I didn't care about fancy stuff like chouff or puff, hell, if I ever feel like a profiterole I'll head to La Bretone or La Renaissance for a fix and well, Pampus do a good enough puff for me.

But this here is a good, fail-proof pastry recipe I use for sweet and savoury recipes. Although more for sweet as we all know my love of baking. For savoury I tend to use a hot water pastry recipe but more on that later, like in a few months after I've survived summer and make meat pies again in Autumn...

2 cups flour
1/4 cup icing sugar
160g butter
1/4-1/2 cup water

In a processor (I'm not one of those traditionalist 'it's better made by hand' kinda girls either), combine the flour, sugar and butter
Add water until it forms into a ball.
Refrigerate for 30 mins or until you need it. Sometimes mine doesn't make it to the fridge (gasp! quell'horror!) and guess what... it still works and doesn't shrink blah blah blah. Sometimes I hate cookery police more than that speed camera on Macpherson Street in Mosman.

Here it is getting made:

2 Comments:

Blogger Bec said...

thanks to you posting this here, and to my enduring faith in your recipe writing skills, I have at last thrown away my 2002 Western Star Calendar with another Pastry 101 recipe gem!

10:25 pm  
Blogger Peg said...

OK, I'm de-lurking here... I found you just a few minutes ago via Pea Soup, at which I lurk and don't quite have the nerve to comment. I saw your comment re: no comments, and thought I'd have a look... and here I am, thrilled as can be. And commenting. Nothing like discovering new and inventive ways to bake and cook. Hey, one man's everyday is another's great new find! Can't wait to try the pastry. And the cheesecake. And... etc. So thanks.

P.S. I found Pea Soup via Behind the Stove, at which I comment quite a lot.

12:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home