Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Catch-up Day 62: Spaghetti w/ meatballs

I made these for the first time a few weeks back on Felix's request. He has a food-memory association with them from a time Chef cooked them and they played Xbox together for the first time. What a treasured childhood time. Anyway, I didn't like Chef's. No real reason, they just didn't do it for me. So I found a recipe from my favouritist cookbook in the world - Campion & Curtis in the Kitchen - and made them. Then Felix uttered a phrase I never thought I'd hear, "Mum, this is better than spaghetti bolognese". And I agree.

I make a big batch and then freeze portions for during the week or quick dinner options.

500g pork mince
500g beef mince
2 eggs
a good 2 handfuls or so of breadcrumbs
a good handful or 2 of parmesan
a good handful of chopped basil and parsley
1-2 onions, finely chopped
2-4 cloves garlic, smooshed
seasonings

- Cook off onion and garlic
- Mix minces together
- Add everything else. If too wet add more breadcrumbs
- Roll into small balls. (Don't do them too big, I don't like them)

Heat some olive oil in a fry pan, brown them, then add to the basic tomato sauce that you've got simmering and cook for as long as you have.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a very important memory of cooking meatballs in tomato sauce in Home Science class. I have made a few very half-baked attempts at meatballs since but they have all basically lacked something important (je ne sais quoi). so i shall try these and conquer the fear i have - that i cooked better in year 8 than i do now. following a recipe helps, and i was much happier to follow rules in those glory days. also - the sink was always very much cleaner at the end of HS than it is here - ever!!

8:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home