Sunday, February 05, 2006

Day 6 - a day of rest

Today is Sunday and we had a quiet day at home. All day. This was a mistake. The boys were loud and boundy, like a new puppy. They got under my skin. They woke the New Recruit twice this morning with their fighting, or simply their noise. At 10.30 I took him back to bed and myself with him. I was woken up three times over the next 15 minutes. Cranky does not even cover the emotion I was feeling in my pinky.

Anyway, I did make a delightful bowl of porridge for breakfast - I simply use 1/2 cup organic rolled oats to enough water that I think will do. That's right, I don't make it with milk. It was just what I needed, with milk and brown sugar.

Lunch was Cruskits with pre-sliced Coon cheese. No, I'm not kidding. There were also some with Vegemite.

Dinner was Mum's roast leg of lamb. This means the meat is cooked right through to the bone, no pinkness for her, that would mean it was not cooked and trigger all manner of tsking under her breath and whatnot. But it does mean 'proper' gravy (made from pan juices, flour and water - the first time I saw someone use Gravox as a serious gravy was Chef's mum and I was amazed - like someone first tasting Deb and being amazed that you can make mash from powder. Yes, that someone was me at I think the same meal as the Gravox) and roasted veggies done the old fashioned way.

I just bung everything in the one baking dish and it all turns out delicious. But mum parboils the potatoes, gets a baking dish FULL of olive oil, heats it gently on the stove then adds the potatoes, carrots, pumpkin and sweet potato and the puts it in the oven. These are, naturally, fabulous.

Dessert was homemade fruitsalad with carton custard (I declined. It's real or not at all for me when it comes to something like custard) and 'lite' icecream (again, it's real or nothing, but we were all out.).

And that, as it is said, was that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bec said...

I have a soft spot for Deb Mash because my nanna used to make it and it tasted so much better than my mum's (real) mash. I realise now that's because it was salty and buttery and had crunchy bits of re-hydrated onion and no half cooked lumps...
Still, I have never ever ever been able to face carrying a packet through the checkout. One day, one day...

3:26 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

I too have a soft spot for Deb, but similarly can never bring myself to buy it. Partly because we don't eat that much potato in this house and if we do, mash is made by cooking them with a clove of garlic, then pureeing in the kitchen whizz with a TONNE of butter, milk, lashings of salt and pepper. It is so silken and divine I feel tempted to smooth it all over my body.

But when we have a super impromptu casual dinner at Chef's parents place, and gravox and Deb make an appearance, I do a little happy dance on the inside.

8:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home