Saturday, February 11, 2006

Day 11 - Arancini

This was prompted after my trip to Haberfield the other day (you'll have to scroll down through the spider phobia story) where I purchased, still warm from the frypan, arancini for Chef and myself. Chef then mentioned them to Felix who has requested we make them every single day since.

So, I made a bolognaise (different from the lasagne one as I wanted to get the subtle, creamy, almost sweet taste of the one I had bought - and has subsequently revolutionised my bolognaise recipe) sauce, a basic risotto and let Chef do the rest.

Bolognaise
1 red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped/crushed
500g mince
1 jar sugo
1 tin crushed tomatoes
big handful of basil, sliced thinly

Saute the onion in a little olive oil
Add the garlic, cook for a minute
Add the meat, brown
Add the sugo, tomatoes and basil

Simmer for as long as you have - it ends up with an almost creamy consistency.
Season

Risotto
Glug of olive oil
knob of butter
2 cups arborio rice
Glass of white wine
1 litre chicken stock

Melt the butter with the oil
Add the rice and cook for a minute or two
Add the wine - cook until absorbed, stirring often
Add the stock a bit at a time, stirring until absorbed, then add more

Mix the meat sauce through the rice (we had a bit - probably 1.5 cups - of meat sauce left over)
Add a cup (I'm guessing this amount - it was probably closer to two cups now I think about it) of frozen peas.

Now, ideally you leave to cool in the fridge.
Stir through chopped up bocconcini cheese - we used a whole tub.
(this mix makes a LOT - we had a lot left over today which we were going to roll into balls and then freeze, but ended up eating as a risotto for lunch)


When cold or at least cool enough to handle, mix into balls of any shape and size you prefer.
Dip into a beaten egg
Then into fresh breadcrumbs


Then fry

Eat - divine crispy crunchy golden bits, melty cheesy bits, green peas. SENSATIONAL.


2 Comments:

Blogger Bec said...

I can no longer imagine, although I know I once did this sort of thing, how I could pull together something with so many stages of culinary joy!
I used to plan weekends around such things. Now I just think: "lucky bitch, wish I'D married a chef!"

9:45 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

No NO - the whole process took about an hour. The bolognaise was a cheats version, the risotto cooked while the bolognaise simmered, then they were rolled and fried. It was remarkably not very time consuming. (I'd been putting it off all week because of the stages.)

9:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home